BGF has built the world’s most active growth capital investment platform, established to help growing SMEs across the UK. Since raising £2.5bn in 2011, we have backed more than 430 businesses and 42,000 jobs, investing over £2.8bn of patient capital.
Our portfolio now includes well-known brands including Gymbox, Gousto, Seasalt, Sophia Webster, Giggling Squid and Joe & Seph’s.
With over 180 talented staff operating from a network of 16 offices, we invest at all stages of growth, from early to quoted, and across all industries.
The investor will contribute to overall investment activity by researching and identifying potential investment opportunities, supporting the evaluation and conversion of these opportunities, monitoring of existing investments and providing general support to the activity of senior investment team members. The investor will work under the supervision and guidance of senior members of the team.
- Develop a deep understanding of BGF’s existing UK portfolio with a view to identifying similar new opportunities.
- Conduct focused sector reviews and other origination strategies/campaigns, under the guidance of the wider investment team.
- Over time, approach and follow-up with prospective investment opportunities (email, phone, events) to arrange an initial meeting with a senior BGF investor.
- Communicate directly with companies, advisors and other intermediaries to understand the fit with investment mandate and the potential attractiveness of the investment opportunity.
- Support senior investment staff at marketing events for intermediaries and prospective investee companies.
- Support the investment team in the preparation of research and analysis on prospective investments to develop an increased understanding of key investment risks and value drivers.
- Assist in the production of key investment outputs including offer letters, heads of terms, investment papers, presentation documents and non-disclosure agreements.
- Use financial models and valuation techniques to support the investment team in assessing potential valuations, funding requirements and funding structures for prospective investee companies.
- Assess financial information and forecasts for prospective investments. Highlight risk areas and areas to understand more fully in due diligence.
- Maintain contact with companies that have been introduced to BGF and who may wish to use BGF for growth capital funding in the future.
Key skills & experience:
- An excellent academic track record. It is desirable to hold an advanced professional qualification e.g. ACA, CFA or equivalent, however this is not an essential requirement.
- Strong due-diligence experience gained through Corporate Finance, Private Equity, Strategy Consulting, or similar environments.
- Sound business and commercial judgement.
- A deep interest in UK business and the UK entrepreneur/SME sector.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively in a small team environment.
- Strong business development and relationship management skills.
- Proven ability for independently producing high quality work, with a detail orientated mind-set.
- A strong work ethic with an ability to meet regular and tight deadlines.
- Advanced spread sheet and financial modelling skills
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion:
BGF is an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their gender, ethnicity, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, age, nationality or socio-economic background. As part of the application process, you will be asked to provide personal information related to diversity and inclusiveness. The information you provide is kept completely confidential and will not be used to evaluate your candidacy. We collect this data to help us analyse our recruitment processes and implement the necessary interventions that promote greater equity, diversity, and inclusiveness.