The investor will contribute to overall investment activity primarily by identifying, researching and screening potential investment opportunities; with a secondary focus on supporting the evaluation and conversion of these opportunities, monitoring of existing investments and providing general support to the activity of senior investment team members. The investor will work under the supervision and guidance of senior members of the team. Key areas of responsibility will include:
Support business development activities – primary focus in the short to medium term
- Develop a deep understanding of BGF’s existing UK portfolio with a view to identifying similar/complementary opportunities in the Irish market.
- Take a lead in the proactive research and identification of potential targets for BGF in Ireland using internal and external data sources.
- Assist in the initial screening of opportunities.
- Conduct focused sector reviews and other origination strategies/campaigns, under the guidance of the wider investment team.
- Contribute to any wider Direct Origination initiatives run by the UK Direct Origination team.
- Over time, approach and follow-up with prospective investment opportunities (email, phone, events) to arrange an initial meeting with a senior BGF investor.
- Over time, communicate directly with advisors and other intermediaries to establish the potential attractiveness of investment opportunities.
- Support senior investment staff at marketing events for intermediaries and prospective investee companies.
Investment support – to evolve over time based on experience and performance
- Support the investment team in the preparation of research and analysis on prospective investments to develop an increased understanding of key investment risks and value drivers.
- Assist in the production of key investment outputs including offer letters, heads of terms, investment papers, presentation documents and non-disclosure agreements.
- Use financial models and valuation techniques to support the investment team in assessing potential valuations, funding requirements and funding structures for prospective investee companies.
- Assess financial information and forecasts for prospective investments. Highlight risk areas and areas to understand more fully in due diligence.
- Maintain contact with companies that have been introduced to BGF and who may wish to use BGF for growth capital funding in the future.
Key Working Relationships & Interactions
External: Management teams, lawyers, banks and accountancy firms, BGF non-executive network
Internal: Investment team members, BGF Direct Origination team, portfolio team, CRM administrator, Talent Network team
Monitor the financial news and markets for intelligence relating to the existing portfolio or potential new investments.
Maintain investment information on the BGF CRM system and relevant databases.
Start to build and actively maintain a network of local contacts in banks, accountancy firms, corporate finance advisors, lawyers and other intermediaries.
Perform other duties as required by senior investment staff
The successful candidate should have:
- An excellent academic track record including (ideally) a professional qualification in accounting (ACA), CFA or equivalent.
- Corporate Finance, Private Equity, Strategy Consulting or similar background.
- Sound business and commercial judgement.
- A deep interest in Irish business and the Irish entrepreneur/SME sector in particular.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively in a small team environment.
- Experience of business development a plus.
- Able to demonstrate ability to build effective relationships.
- Demonstrated attitude of taking responsibility for quality of work with a detail orientated mind-set.
- A strong work ethic with an ability to meet regular and tight deadlines.
- Good standard of excel & financial modelling skills.
BGF is the UK and Ireland’s most active provider of long-term capital to small and mid-sized companies. Established in 2011, BGF has already invested £2.5 billion in a portfolio of 300+ growing companies. BGF is a minority, non-controlling equity partner with a patient outlook on investments, based on shared long-term goals with the management teams it backs. Our portfolio companies include Gymbox, Gousto and Trunki. With over 175 talented staff operating from a network of 16 offices, we invest at all stages of growth, from early to quoted, and across all industries. No agencies please.