We are hiring a junior investor to support our growing investment team in Leeds. The investor will contribute to overall investment activity by researching and identifying potential investment opportunities, supporting the evaluation and conversion of these opportunities, monitoring of existing investments and providing general support to the activity of senior investment team members. The investor will work under the supervision and guidance of senior members of the team.
Key areas of responsibility
Support business development activities (primary focus in the short to medium term)
– Develop a deep understanding of BGF’s existing UK portfolio with a view to identifying similar new opportunities.
– Take a lead in the proactive research and identification of potential targets for BGF in Yorkshire / North East using internal and external data sources.
– Assist in the initial screening of opportunities.
– Conduct focused sector reviews and other origination strategies/campaigns, under the guidance of the wider investment team.
– Contribute to any wider national Direct Origination initiatives run by the Direct Origination team.
– Over time, approach and follow-up with prospective investment opportunities (email, phone, events) to arrange an initial meeting with a senior BGF investor.
– Communicate directly with companies, advisors and other intermediaries to understand the fit with investment mandate and the potential attractiveness of the investment opportunity.
– Support senior investment staff at marketing events for intermediaries and prospective investee companies.
KPIs: Effective contribution made to team business development activities resulting in new company meetings and investment opportunities.
Investment support – to evolve over time based on experience and performance
– Support the investment team in the preparation of research and analysis on prospective investments to develop an increased understanding of key investment risks and value drivers.
– Assist in the production of key investment outputs including offer letters, heads of terms, investment papers, presentation documents and non-disclosure agreements.
– Use financial models and valuation techniques to support the investment team in assessing potential valuations, funding requirements and funding structures for prospective investee companies
– Assess financial information and forecasts for prospective investments. Highlight risk areas and areas to understand more fully in due diligence.
– Maintain contact with companies that have been introduced to BGF and who may wish to use BGF for growth capital funding in the future.
KPIs: Effective contribution made to core investment process
Working with and managing others, with the key working relationships and interactions being:
Management teams, lawyers, banks and accountancy firms, BGF non-executive network, BGF shareholders
BGF Direct Origination team, investment team members, portfolio team, CRM administrator, Talent Network team
– Monitor the financial news and markets for intelligence relating to the existing portfolio or potential new investments.
– Maintain investment information on the BGF CRM system and relevant databases.
– Start to build and actively maintain a network of local contacts in banks, accountancy firms, corporate finance advisors and lawyers.
– Perform other duties as required by senior investment staff
– An excellent academic track record including ideally a professional qualification in accounting (ACA), CFA or equivalent.
– Corporate Finance, Private Equity, Strategy Consulting or similar background.
– Sound business and commercial judgement.
– A deep interest in UK business and the UK entrepreneur/SME sector in particular.
– Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively in a small team environment.
– Strong business development and relationship management skills.
– Demonstrated attitude of taking responsibility for quality of work with a detail orientated mind-set.
– A strong work ethic with an ability to meet regular and tight deadlines.
– Advanced spread sheet and financial modelling skills
CVs to email@example.com please.