Globalisation on pause? How scaleups can navigate today's uncertainty9:30 am - 10:30 am
A different way forward
Growing businesses in London choose BGF because we help them grow at their own pace, share their passion for success and provide a network of support when they need it.
London PE Landscape
Our History in London
London Success Stories
The London private equity landscape
The London private equity market is one of the most competitive in the world, with 45% of the UK’s mid-market private equity deals taking place in the capital. BGF is different from competitors in the London private equity market, with most of our investments worth between £1m and £20m.
Our origins in the financial crisis, and our funding structure, give us the unique ability to invest genuinely patient capital. So far, our London team has invested over £1bn supporting more than 150 businesses in the capital and South East region.
What makes us different to a traditional private equity firm?
BGF is an investor that’s different on purpose. Unlike traditional London private equity firms, we do not seek to take majority control of the businesses we back. Instead, our minority investment model empowers business owners to grow in the way that is right for them, while we offer support and guidance.
Our value as an investor lies in our expertise across multiple sectors, our focus on supporting management teams and our patient approach. Our investment period can vary from as little as 12 months to many years, depending on the needs of the business.
Teams to support all stages of investment
Each of our teams – growth, early stage and quoted – would, by themselves, be significant players in their markets. What makes our model powerful is that we integrate them into one, each part reinforcing the othersAndy Gregory Chief Executive Officer
BGF Early Stage
Our Early Stage team leads private equity investments in some of London’s brightest and most ambitious early-stage businesses. Focusing on new ventures and startups, the team helps entrepreneurs who are ready to move beyond seed funding.
BGF Growth team invests in mid-sized and privately owned companies that need help scaling up. Businesses in the BGF growth portfolio use private equity funding for a variety of purposes, such as product development, strategic acquisitions, international expansion and more.
BGF’s Quoted team invests in listed companies, specialising in the smaller end of the market. The team is experienced in providing cornerstone investment for new listings, helping to reduce fundraising and execution risk.
Our history in London
BGF is established with backing from our bank shareholders Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds Banking Group, NatWest and Standard Chartered. London is one of our founding investment teams. We begin backing ambitious businesses across the capital with patient private equity.
BGF reaches the milestone of 20 investments in London and the South East. This year, we back companies including renewable energy leader 3Sun Group, gym chain Gymbox and dialysis provider Renal Services.
Our most active year yet. We make 26 new investments in London and South East businesses including arts and crafts service toucanBox, education business Firefly Learning and home care provider The Good Care Group.
In the midst of the pandemic, BGF completes 10 new investments in London and the South East. These include mobile software developer Sliide and influencer brand building agency Genflow.
BGF invests over £165m in London and the South East. New investments include plant-based meat brand THIS, female technology business Elvie and energy data analytics provider Stark. BGF completes nine exits of businesses based in the region.
BGF’s London success storiesLooking for funding?
Early Stage to Growth investment
- BGF first backed recipe box delivery service Gousto in 2015 and has provided eight rounds of follow-on investment to date.
- Our funding and support has helped to drive organic growth, technology enhancements, sales & marketing, a second fulfilment centre and large-scale recruitment drive.
- Gousto achieved “unicorn” status in 2020 with a valuation of over $1 billion.
- In 2014, BGF backed dialysis provider Renal Services with £3.1m of private equity investment, and also introduced the company to its non-executive chair, James Buckley.
- After partnering with BGF, Renal Services grew at an average rate of 35% a year.
- In 2020, BGF exited its investment when the company was sold to global dialysis provider DaVita.
- BGF was the lead investor in a £58m funding round for female technology business Elvie, which makes devices to improve women’s lives such as a pelvic floor trainer and silent breast pump.
- The deal was brought to our investment committee by an all-female investment team of Daina Spedding, Bethany Shiers and Lucy Edwardes-Jones.
We're ready, are you?
Want to join some of the nation’s most ambitious and successful companies? We’re always looking for the next brilliant business to back.Tell us about your business